Featured in our June 2021 ‘Summer Soleil’ box, Pleiospilos nelii ‘Royal Flush’ (“Split Rock”) is such an interesting succulent! Read on to learn more about it.
Pleiospilos nelii ‘Royal Flush’ (“Split Rock”) is native to South Africa.
- The more sunlight, the more purple nelii becomes.
- A new pair of leaves grows from the center once a year (during growing season, usually from late spring to early summer). Older leaves become consumed by the new leaves. Nelii will typically have only two pairs of leaves at a time.
Pleiospilos nelii ‘Royal Flush’ (“Split Rock”) is hardy to around 25-30 F. As with most succulents, protect from frost to prevent scarring.
Dormancy occurs in the winter and in very hot temperatures. Water should be decreased.
Pleiospilos nelii blooms from summer to fall and produces a red daisy-looking flower with a white center.
- Soil: Amendments such as perlite, pumice, coarse sand, or decomposed granite must be added for extra drainage.
- Light: Grow in full sun to partial shade, protecting from scorching summer sun.
- Water: Water only when soil is completely dry. Decrease water in the winter months.